Back to top Go down

Re: FIRST :] :] :]

Post by Tassi on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 pm

I really wish there was a Calvin/Hobbes show
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by janejanejane on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:28 am

I kind of used to think that, but then I read how Bill Watterson just knew that whatever voices they picked would probably be really annoying and it just all wouldn't seem right... and I think he's got a point. It might be a bit different these days, now that it seems at least a little easier to make animated stuff with a subtler streak to it; but I'm glad Watterson fought all the licensing and stuff. Much as a bit of merch would be nice, 1980s/1990s comic strip merchandising didn't really know when to stop... :p
janejanejane

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 am

janejanejane wrote:1980s/1990s comic strip merchandising didn't really know when to stop... :p

You hit the nail on the head. Consider Snoopy. Look at what Bart Simpson became. Remember all those Looney Tunes in saggy pants and backwards ballcaps because they had "attitude?" Hell, Calvin pissing on things wasn't even legit and was still everywhere!

Nah, good on Watterson for fighting. What's merch even for, anyway? What does the transaction of paying someone else to display their advertising really mean? Isn't it a blessing that we've got the source material? Wasn't that already good enough? It was Calvin's story to have a stuffed tiger to get into imaginative trouble with, copying that misses the point of the work. Having a thousand kids running around with a thousand stuffed Hobbes kinda dilutes the message. I wish more artists/authors had the guts take similar positions.
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum