2017 Summer Anime Chart

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2017 Summer Anime Chart

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:56 pm

enail wrote:
Madzimum Thrill wrote:>Clione no Akari

Wow, that was pretty hardcore depressing for a 10 minute anime. I'll give it one or two more before deciding if it's the thing my two crews usually like watching (awful things happening to people)

Laughing  (Genshiken's pretty happy, though)

Sure, if you consider the cruel tragedy of Madarame's love-life and the cataloguing of a nerd-scene that went extinct not long after the first part ended happy ;_;

(I love how just mentioning that something is pretty depressing gets like 10 people automatically watching it Cool )
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Madzimum Thrill wrote:(I love how just mentioning that something is pretty depressing gets like 10 people automatically watching it  Cool )

Ever see Nobody's Boy: Remi? Oof.
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Tassi on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Dudes, Elfin Lied.....nuff said
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I remember giving Elfin Lied a skip because it seemed the standard big watery moe eyes + Berserk-tier violence formula that was big in the 2000s. Is there more there worth checking out?
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:27 pm

EncouragementMachine wrote:I remember giving Elfin Lied a skip because it seemed the standard big watery moe eyes + Berserk-tier violence formula that was big in the 2000s. Is there more there worth checking out?

You better not be bashing Berserk, or this crew's gonna see some awful things happening to you

(Madarame got a happy ending, dammit, we... we like happy stuff!)
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:48 pm

How is acknowledging the gratuitous levels of violence in Berserk bashing it? It comes from the same school of Wild Shit as Go Nagai. Built on maximalism.

But around the 2000s you got a lot of really bad attempts at blending that with less severe design/settings/etc. If anything, I'm bashing folks who try to outdo Berserk without committing as hard as Berserk has.

That mostly died out. These days what bugs me is how nobody in Japan can write a story that isn't "And then they got stuck in an alternate woooooorld!" That really killed Bakemono no Ko for me. ;_;
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Tassi on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm

^ Truth

Seriously in my earlier years of anime viewing Elfin Lied was like the goriest, most depressing thing I watched at the time. Before AoT that is.

Spoiler or possible spoiler if you don't remember this scene. I apologize now for crappy dub but it was either this or spanish sutitles.
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Ahh, I gotcha, can't deny that Berserk takes the cake for super hardcore anime violence done for a purpose. It's pretty ridiculous to imagine that level of jugular-spraying gore combined with moe elf girls, but I guess... that'd sell? To some people?

(also I was 90% joking, whoops, just assume I'm kidding if any post ever appears remotely aggro Razz)
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Also, after watching that Elfen Lied clip: bahahaha hearing Ash be like "yeah, let's torture this puppy!" You're never going to make it to the Indigo League if you treat your Pokemon like that, buddy
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tassi on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Totally didn't even realize it was the same voice actor
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e/Welcome to the Clasroom of the Elite

This one just hit me the right way. It started with a Nietzsche quote, so you know it's going to be edgy. It's about a government funded high school for kids who are going to be the elite of society one day. Kids live on campus and rarely get to leave it, they're gifted 100,000 Yen per month (about $1000?) in points, and points are used to buy essentials and entertainment from the on-campus store. Buuuuut things aren't quite what they seem.
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Stan Lee's The Reflection

I don't understand why the went to the trouble of attaching Stan Lee's name to it and then producing a terribly drawn art-style that's otherwise animated really well o.O
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tassi on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Wait are we talking about the same Reflection I just posted on the other thread?
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Stan Lee's been pushing comics-at-large in various worldwide markets because his name carries so much weight in the field. He had something crappy running in shounen jump for a while. Titles in south america, germany, etc. It serves the tripurposes of getting more exposure for Marvel titles in those regions, scouting for any new IPs that might actually take off, and actually doing some good re: being an ambassador to those places and giving everybody there and here a wider vision of what's going on in comics across the globe.

He gets his fingers into everything. He had a youtube channel that was pretty active about 5 years back. The Stan Lee Foundation is big on literacy. It keeps grandpa busy.

But mostly low quality work with his name on it as a producer credit as a cheap moneygrab.
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Tassi wrote:Wait are we talking about the same Reflection I just posted on the other thread?

Yup

EncouragementMachine wrote:Stan Lee's been pushing comics-at-large in various worldwide markets because his name carries so much weight in the field. He had something crappy running in shounen jump for a while. Titles in south america, germany, etc. It serves the tripurposes of getting more exposure for Marvel titles in those regions, scouting for any new IPs that might actually take off, and actually doing some good re: being an ambassador to those places and giving everybody there and here a wider vision of what's going on in comics across the globe.

He gets his fingers into everything. He had a youtube channel that was pretty active about 5 years back. The Stan Lee Foundation is big on literacy. It keeps grandpa busy.

But mostly low quality work with his name on it as a producer credit as a cheap moneygrab.

That makes sense. Most of what was in the Reflection was a big Marvel rip-off, and I guess these places don't have those decades-long history with old-school comics as much as the movies now are super-popular
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tassi on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Dude that makes total sense why that episode felt off now...
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:43 am

5 eps deep in Welcome to the Ballroom and it's really good, would recommend!
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by enail on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Checked out Made in Abyss, Gamers and Isekai Shokudou. Liked the first two, didn't think much of the third.
enail

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:23 pm

I did a slam-read of Saiyuki to get caught up (I never finished Reload), and have now started watching Saiyuki Reload Blast. I have to admit seeing Saiyuki back on my screen in 2017 is a fucking riot Very Happy
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm prolly the only one, but if anybody was thinking of checking out Musekinin Galaxy☆Tylor? Do not. Total waste of time garbage.

Lucy wrote:I have to admit seeing Saiyuki back on my screen in 2017 is a fucking riot Very Happy

Houshin Engi is getting a new show. "Fucking riot" ain't no lie. Are we entering a mid-90s, sharp-faced, adventure franchise renaissance?
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:44 am

We've been in the Nostalgia Renaissance for a few years already, even 90s manga Ushio and Tora got an anime which I never thought would be possible. Laughing (it's really good, check it out)
Personally I'm still holding out hopes of a Fruits Basket reboot!

Continuing to catch up with BLAST and fuck, it's like coming home. They got the original voice cast back from the other series so there really is an odd time loop nostalgia effect. :p
One thing new that I like about it is the production decision to have blood/dirt/water splatters on the "camera" when the shot angle is close enough that that would happen. It's interesting!
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tassi on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 am

I get my angry chain smoking swearing bishi priest back. This pleases the fox! YAY!
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top