Mobile Suit Gundam General Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mobile Suit Gundam General Thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:12 am

Mobile Suit Gundam is a long-running mecha franchise and one of the innovators of giant robots being used to tell serious war stories. Apparently in Japan it's on the level of a Star Wars, in that people who've never seen it still know the names of characters like Char Aznable, similar to how everyone knows who Darth Vader is. There is a larger shared Universe (the Universal Century) and a number of alternate universe spin-offs (the series that popularized Gundam in the west, Gundam Wing, was one such spinoff). The plots usually involve teenagers being accidentally thrust into the cockpit of a powerful Mobile suit called a Gundam, who are then conscripted into trying to stop adults waging war on each other while suffering various bouts of PTSD and despair (they are basically child soldiers, after all). There is usually large amounts of political strife between Earth and futuristic space colonies, some supernatural elements (The concept of "Newtypes", humans born in space with a degree of ESP that are thought to be the next stage in human evolution is common thought no always present), there is usually a douchebag wearing a mask who acts as a principle rival, and there is always a giant robot called a Gundam and a young pilot there to try to stop the endless wars that humanity wages on itself.
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam General Thread

Post by Lucy on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:44 am

I've been a fairly enthusiastic mecha fan since Gundam Wing first aired on Cartoon Network all those years ago. Very Happy Mad is currently inducting me through the UC universe Gundam series, which I'd never managed to crack, and I'm enjoying it a lot!
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:18 am

We're rewatching Double Zeta Gundam right now, I used to hate it as a teenager because Zeta was super edgy and then Double Zeta was Looney Tunes hijinx. It's definitely easier to watch now though.
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Gundam Thunderbolt 8/S2 E4/S2 End

Spoiler:

- Cut a few animation corners there
- But dat action
- God-tier Newtype ffffuuuuuuuuu
- Those lyrics about the Princess during the battle too
- That fucking outro song too, goddamn

The music in this series is just incredible. That song from that previous ep with the mentally regressed doctor, the outro song in this and the song about the Princess in the Tower are def things I'm gonna need
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Thunderbolt just continues to be a mindblowing experience visually and aurally

Season 2 End:
That cliffhanger/plot drop at the end of the episode was a real GOD DAMMIT moment, knowing we'll have to wait for more Laughing
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top