HBO shows general thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 am

Here's a thread for general discussion of HBO shows, since I'm not sure any specific show has enough viewership here to merit its own thread!

Older shows I liked a lot:


  • Deadwood, cocksuckers!
  • Six Feet Under, though it's been a long time since I saw it
  • Enlightened (man, never seen a more brutal and nuanced takedown of that specific type of person)
  • Eastbound & Down ("IF I STOP YELLING, IT MEANS I LOSE! I'M SORRY AND I LOVE YOU BOTH VERY MUCH! FUCK!")
  • John Adams (Paul Gia-hottie [and l-o-fucking-l that the macro for that smiley is "lame"])
  • The Wire (but tbh I liked it less than I'm Supposed To, since it's The Greatest Show of All Time)
  • The Sopranos (I'm finally starting season 5 and still don't know what the Big Thing at the series finale it, please don't spoil me  )


Newer/ongoing shows I'm caught up on and enjoy:


  • Girls (much moreso pre-season 5, but early seasons were GREAT)
  • High Maintenance (some of the can't-breathe-crying funniest and also most poignant TV comedy in years for me)
  • Silicon Valley (kinda on the downhill this season though)
  • True Detective Season 1  


Shows I thought were actually pretty shit despite the massive hype:


  • Westworld (I KNOW, I was all set to love it, someone explain how this show is any good!)


So, any of y'all partake of the HBO suite of entertainment products? Opinions? Favorites? Hopes 'n dreams for renewals or relaunches?
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by EncouragementMachine on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I don't watch a lot of stuff out of HBO but I liked Deadwood well enough.

I've only seen 4 or 5 episodes of Westworld but I'm a little disappointed also. Honestly I don't really feel the original book/movie/concept warranted rebooting/remaking/whatever. Humans gave me what I hoped Westworld would, but didn't. I recommend it if you're looking to scratch that awakening consciousness/when-is-an-android-a-person sort of itch, give it a try.
avatar
EncouragementMachine

Posts : 70
Join date : 2017-06-24

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:49 am

I binge-watched the Sopranos a few years ago. Mostly good but depressing as fffuuuuuuuu

Also been watching Game of Thrones regularly
avatar
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Posts : 239
Join date : 2017-06-21

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 am

@EncouragementMachine wrote:I've only seen 4 or 5 episodes of Westworld but I'm a little disappointed also. Honestly I don't really feel the original book/movie/concept warranted rebooting/remaking/whatever. Humans gave me what I hoped Westworld would, but didn't. I recommend it if you're looking to scratch that awakening consciousness/when-is-an-android-a-person sort of itch, give it a try.
RIGHT? And the execution, yeesh, they had one hundred million dollars to make this show, but every episode is like:

EXTERIOR. Yellow and beige desert. Two people walk somewhere while talking.
CUT TO INTERIOR. White and grey office set. Two people are talking while standing or sitting still.
CUT TO EXTERIOR. The desert is still yellow and beige. Two people are still talking while walking somewhere. Maybe a gun is fired.
REPEAT AD INFINITUM

Like not only is the pacing and story and acting pretty ehh, but there's nothing interesting to even look at. It really confuses me how they managed to spend $100M making this thing

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:Also been watching Game of Thrones regularly
Oh right, that's a minor thing on HBO Razz

I'm pretty much still keeping up with that show for a) Tyrion b) Brianne c) Samwell, but I will totally be watching and probably have words to say when season 7 premieres.
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Let me know on your theory of the Sopranos ending when you get to it

The last season of GoT didn't feel like the same thing anymore. I've probably mentioned this before, but it felt like the kids rushing out on the last day of school before summer break, going crazy because they have the freedom to do what they want now. Some of it was still cool but I feel like they hard-winking fan-service rather than having the same kind of restraint (and I guess book framework) that worked so well in the first few seasons
avatar
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Posts : 239
Join date : 2017-06-21

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 pm

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:The last season of GoT didn't feel like the same thing anymore. I've probably mentioned this before, but it felt like the kids rushing out on the last day of school before summer break, going crazy because they have the freedom to do what they want now. Some of it was still cool but I feel like they hard-winking fan-service rather than having the same kind of restraint (and I guess book framework) that worked so well in the first few seasons
Yeahhh, I agree. I will say that That One Scene was really, legitimately super good (I have never seen a depiction of combat that made me so anxious and claustrophobic), but the rest of the season felt pretty fanservicey, especially the finale. Maybe Martin-sensei will spank the most unruly kids and Season 7 will be a little more in control of itself
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:28 am

Haven't finished The Sopranos yet, but apparently the first part of season 6 was polarizing and widely hated? I gotta put myself firmly in the "loved it" camp, how bout y'all?

Spoiler:
The Kevin Finnerty performance, and the way he'd become more and more Tony, right down to the accent, every time something external like the doctor's light or a noise came through, was so on point. Gandolfini was such a master. Also I'm a sucker for Heavy Symbolism and Dream Sequences so I really dug the whole thing.

Gotta give props to Carmella too, her performances throughout had me crying like once an episode. Her tenderly swabbing that vaseline on Tony's mute lips, Jesus  Sad
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 am

Hrmmmm, I sorta remember it, but I don't really recall too many details of the last season outside of the ending and a few other specific moments

Spoiler:

I think by that point I'd lost most of my sympathy for Carmella and the rest of the family
avatar
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Posts : 239
Join date : 2017-06-21

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Oh yeah, I meant
Spoiler:
The gutshot coma, the long dream over a few episodes, and his convalescence period.

I actually feel a lot more sympathy for Carm at this point than maybe any other over the show. Seems like she finally decided, after years of ambivalence about it, that this is her husband, period. Like she finally chose to just go all-in with him instead of waffling around like "oh, is this really what I want or deserve, is Bad Man bad, am I bad, boo hoo". Nope, this is what she wants and deserves, Bad Man is bad but so is she, she tasted the forbidden extramarital fruit/possibilities of a more mainstream life and it sucked, and now she's going to protect the status quo with all she's got. At least I hope that's how it goes from here on out.

But yeah, Meadow and AJ are just losers (AJ as a terrible failed gangster club-kid wannabe is hilarious) and I kinda like it that way, Tony's life is just an accumulation of fuckup dependents Laughing
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 pm

Spoiler:

Hrmmm, I want to say something about Meadow, but I don't remember where she's at in her life at that point
avatar
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Posts : 239
Join date : 2017-06-21

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:40 pm

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:

Hrmmm, I want to say something about Meadow, but I don't remember where she's at in her life at that point

Spoiler:
She's still engaged to that loser Finn and interning at a pro bono law firm, keeps trying to be progressive at family dinners, just had a big fight with her fiance cause he started running his mouth about how gross and scary mafiosos are and she was like "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT MY PEOPLE". I'm hoping Finn gets murdered soon and leaves her free to be the actual ruthless Soprano successor once something crushes her naive dreams of doing good in the world, but I doubt we'll get that  
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:07 pm

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:Let me know on your theory of the Sopranos ending when you get to it  

OKAY

Spoiler:
I mean obvs Tony is dead, but it kinda doesn’t matter whether it was the dude in the Members Only jacket, or the redneck in the other booth, or whoever came in the door, because dude's whole life has been spent looking up at the door wondering who's coming to kill him, and even if he didn't die in that scene, he'd spend the rest of his life doing the very same thing. I hope his last moment was watching Meadow come in the door, but I’d have to watch a slo-mo gif of him looking up at the door chime to read his face and see what the expression implied.

It was nice the way they led up to his death with... I dunno, letting him find some peace beforehand, even if it eluded him at times after the coma. "All the shit we see and feel... I know there's more to this world than that."

Other stuff:
-I was NOT EXPECTING Christopher's death, holy SHIT
-I was surprised and kind of shook up by how fast and resolutely and efficiently Melfi got rid of Tony. Think that study she read was right? Was he right to call it unethical on a professional level?
-AJ's suicide attempt, oh my GOD /
-I would absolutely watch a spinoff series that's just 5-minute episodes of Paulie locked in eternal struggle with that Christopher cat, like Wile E. Coyote gags

Really good final season. Very satisfied.
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:30 pm

@Werel wrote:
@Madzimum Thrill wrote:Let me know on your theory of the Sopranos ending when you get to it  

OKAY

Spoiler:
I mean obvs Tony is dead, but it kinda doesn’t matter whether it was the dude in the Members Only jacket, or the redneck in the other booth, or whoever came in the door, because dude's whole life has been spent looking up at the door wondering who's coming to kill him, and even if he didn't die in that scene, he'd spend the rest of his life doing the very same thing. I hope his last moment was watching Meadow come in the door, but I’d have to watch a slo-mo gif of him looking up at the door chime to read his face and see what the expression implied.

It was nice the way they led up to his death with... I dunno, letting him find some peace beforehand, even if it eluded him at times after the coma. "All the shit we see and feel... I know there's more to this world than that."

Other stuff:
-I was NOT EXPECTING Christopher's death, holy SHIT
-I was surprised and kind of shook up by how fast and resolutely and efficiently Melfi got rid of Tony. Think that study she read was right? Was he right to call it unethical on a professional level?
-AJ's suicide attempt, oh my GOD /
-I would absolutely watch a spinoff series that's just 5-minute episodes of Paulie locked in eternal struggle with that Christopher cat, like Wile E. Coyote gags

Really good final season. Very satisfied.

Spoiler:

The story-teller in me thinks that it wasn't Tony who got popped, it was Meadow. Why else show her fuck up the parallel parking and arrive late? It would be even worse if she arrived on time because she'd see it up close to see him get shot rather than far away. If you're playing the tragedy angle, she's at least the one Soprano who will probably try to turn the family name around because she's guilty about growing up in a mob family. I think they cut away, as the scene kept rolling, she leaned in to give Tony a hello kiss and was the who got shot instead. "But man, people didn't like Godfather III, let's just cut away and give them something to talk about."

Though I've seen another theory that the last thing we see is Tony's face when it cuts out, so maybe it was AJ who got shot because he was sitting across from him. I think he got into a thing with some black guys at one point? You see a black guy with a hand in his pocket walk in just before Meadow does.

Christopher got that far, somehow outlasted fucking Ralphie out of everyone, and they off him juuuust as the series was ending. The Russian will never get his revenge on him ;_;

It's unfortunate that Livia's actress died partway through, I think Livia Soprano was the highlight of the entire show.
avatar
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Posts : 239
Join date : 2017-06-21

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:37 pm

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:
The story-teller in me thinks that it wasn't Tony who got popped, it was Meadow. Why else show her fuck up the parallel parking and arrive late? It would be even worse if she arrived on time because she'd see it up close to see him get shot rather than far away. If you're playing the tragedy angle, she's at least the one Soprano who will probably try to turn the family name around because she's guilty about growing up in a mob family. I think they cut away, as the scene kept rolling, she leaned in to give Tony a hello kiss and was the who got shot instead. "But man, people didn't like Godfather III, let's just cut away and give them something to talk about."
Spoiler:
Yeah, there were some Implications in those last shots of her (were those the thoughts you had about Meadow?). I also thought it was possible she got collateral'ed, but the implication felt more like "here she is, late, stressed, just in time to see her dad's brains get blown out." Especially since his last line to her a few scenes before was "I only have so many more dinners with you" (in reference to her getting married, but it works). She doesn't feel central enough to the story for her death to be the bookend, but maybe all of them dying in a more-collateral-damage-than-anticipated kinda event would work thematically. Though you're right, all that time spent on her being late couldn't have been a throwaway.

My gut really says it was Tony who got hit because of what he says to Paulie on the boat a few episodes earlier (when Paulie thinks he's getting whacked): they're talking about dying, and Tony says something about death like "I bet it's just like a sudden fade to black." We get a sudden cut to black on the lyric "stop", were there really people out there who didn't get that he was dead??

(Also, you've got gifmaking magic, this 2-second shot on the boat of Tony's smug fucking grinning mug bobbing up and down was so perfect and terrifying it made me want to barf, if you ever make a high-res gif of that I'll owe you a coke Razz)

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:
Though I've seen another theory that the last thing we see is Tony's face when it cuts out, so maybe it was AJ who got shot because he was sitting across from him. I think he got into a thing with some black guys at one point? You see a black guy with a hand in his pocket walk in just before Meadow does.
Spoiler:
Hmmmmm, that's plausible, but his frat brothers beating up that Somali kid felt more like a "hey guess what you're doomed to live in a world of unjust violence, moreso even than most people" than a "this is going to come back and get you later" moment. Was there some other time he got tangled up with rough black dudes? I don't remember anything like that. The guy with his hand in his pocket just felt like one more of the infinite potential threats Tony sees around him at every second, but it could've been more.

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:
It's unfortunate that Livia's actress died partway through, I think Livia Soprano was the highlight of the entire show.
Spoiler:
She was reaaaally good, I agree 100%. Junior was probably my pick for best non-Gandolfini acting and character development, but Livia was amazing. I had a real soft spot for the Melfi-Tony dynamic too, though.
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:53 pm

@Werel wrote:
@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:
The story-teller in me thinks that it wasn't Tony who got popped, it was Meadow. Why else show her fuck up the parallel parking and arrive late? It would be even worse if she arrived on time because she'd see it up close to see him get shot rather than far away. If you're playing the tragedy angle, she's at least the one Soprano who will probably try to turn the family name around because she's guilty about growing up in a mob family. I think they cut away, as the scene kept rolling, she leaned in to give Tony a hello kiss and was the who got shot instead. "But man, people didn't like Godfather III, let's just cut away and give them something to talk about."

Spoiler:
Yeah, there were some Implications in those last shots of her (were those the thoughts you had about Meadow?). I also thought it was possible she got collateral'ed, but the implication felt more like "here she is, late, stressed, just in time to see her dad's brains get blown out." Especially since his last line to her a few scenes before was "I only have so many more dinners with you" (in reference to her getting married, but it works). She doesn't feel central enough to the story for her death to be the bookend, but maybe all of them dying in a more-collateral-damage-than-anticipated kinda event would work thematically. Though you're right, all that time spent on her being late couldn't have been a throwaway.

My gut really says it was Tony who got hit because of what he says to Paulie on the boat a few episodes earlier (when Paulie thinks he's getting whacked): they're talking about dying, and Tony says something about death like "I bet it's just like a sudden fade to black." We get a sudden cut to black on the lyric "stop", were there really people out there who didn't get that he was dead??

(Also, you've got gifmaking magic, this 2-second shot on the boat of Tony's smug fucking grinning mug bobbing up and down was so perfect and terrifying it made me want to barf, if you ever make a high-res gif of that I'll owe you a coke Razz)

Spoiler:

Difficult to make high-res from youtube, that's about the best it'll come out as



Maybe Paulie had him whacked Mad

And yeah, those were the thoughts I had on Meadow.

Also I think it was somewhat unfortunate casting on AJ's part. I thiiiink they casted a husky kid with the idea that he'd grow up big like James Gandolfini and then they could end up having a fistfight or some shit that you just knew was coming, but he stayed tiny and lost weight and they kind of had to go other directions with it


Spoiler:
Hmmmmm, that's plausible, but his frat brothers beating up that Somali kid felt more like a "hey guess what you're doomed to live in a world of unjust violence, moreso even than most people" than a "this is going to come back and get you later" moment. Was there some other time he got tangled up with rough black dudes? I don't remember anything like that. The guy with his hand in his pocket just felt like one more of the infinite potential threats Tony sees around him at every second, but it could've been more.

Spoiler:

It could also be a bit of poetic justice too, considering they blamed almost every internal murder that they committed themselves on "black guys"


Spoiler:
She was reaaaally good, I agree 100%. Junior was probably my pick for best non-Gandolfini acting and character development, but Livia was amazing. I had a real soft spot for the Melfi-Tony dynamic too, though.

Spoiler:

I didn't like how Junior's story ended up, just an old guy suffering from Alzheimer's. I think Dr Melfi was awesome early on but as things wore on she sort of outlived her purpose and it seemed a little goofy that with no breakthroughs, she's keep seeing this mob boss anyway.
avatar
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Posts : 239
Join date : 2017-06-21

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:10 pm

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:


I owe you a Coke Pepsi

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:
Maybe Paulie had him whacked Mad
Shocked I honestly hadn't thought of that. I half want to say "he wouldn't be capable of that," but... he was at a weird place in his life at the end of the show.

@Madzimum Thrill wrote:
Spoiler:
Also I think it was somewhat unfortunate casting on AJ's part. I thiiiink they casted a husky kid with the idea that he'd grow up big like James Gandolfini and then they could end up having a fistfight or some shit that you just knew was coming, but he stayed tiny and lost weight and they kind of had to go other directions with it
Spoiler:
God, that would've been an amazing scene. Instead it was just Gandolfini throwing AJ around like a little doll when he had to, which was satisfying but didn't have quite the same kind of impact. AJ ended up being a pretty subpar actor, too, and the directions they tried to go with him didn't feel too relevant or impactful (his single mom fiancee, his angsty emo teen phase [I wish he'd gone full goth like Vito's kid cause Tony talking BabyGoth out of being a BabyGoth was awesome])

Spoiler:
I didn't like how Junior's story ended up, just an old guy suffering from Alzheimer's.
Spoiler:
Huh, I liked that, even his little arc with the rich-kid Korean depressive who was his BFF for a minute. When that kid went aggro on Junior I was like  Surprised ... It was a nice "look, you can rule the world, you can survive gunshots and machinations and endless attempts on your life, and you'll still end up alone, betrayed by your body and forgetting your own name" kinda memento mori. Tony telling him that he used to run New Jersey, and him being like "huh. Neat." in one of the last scenes was a really poignant kindness in my eyes.

Spoiler:
I think Dr Melfi was awesome early on but as things wore on she sort of outlived her purpose and it seemed a little goofy that with no breakthroughs, she's keep seeing this mob boss anyway.
Spoiler:
Yeah, her main purpose IMO was as an exposition device for Tony's thoughts. But the arc where she refused to sic Tony on her rapist was good, and I absolutely bought that she'd keep seeing him out of some combination of stubborn "I can help ANYONE" professional ambition, tabloid-style voyeurism, and latent attraction. Thought it was interesting that the "no breakthroughs" actually became a plot point at the end when she decided he was an unreachable criminal sociopath (did you buy that? Do you think he was just practicing on her?)
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 pm

@Werel wrote:
Spoiler:
I didn't like how Junior's story ended up, just an old guy suffering from Alzheimer's.
Spoiler:
Huh, I liked that, even his little arc with the rich-kid Korean depressive who was his BFF for a minute. When that kid went aggro on Junior I was like  Surprised ... It was a nice "look, you can rule the world, you can survive gunshots and machinations and endless attempts on your life, and you'll still end up alone, betrayed by your body and forgetting your own name" kinda memento mori. Tony telling him that he used to run New Jersey, and him being like "huh. Neat." in one of the last scenes was a really poignant kindness in my eyes.

Spoiler:

He would've forgotten it like a minute later. Mad


Spoiler:
Yeah, her main purpose IMO was as an exposition device for Tony's thoughts. But the arc where she refused to sic Tony on her rapist was good, and I absolutely bought that she'd keep seeing him out of some combination of stubborn "I can help ANYONE" professional ambition, tabloid-style voyeurism, and latent attraction. Thought it was interesting that the "no breakthroughs" actually became a plot point at the end when she decided he was an unreachable criminal sociopath (did you buy that? Do you think he was just practicing on her?)

Spoiler:

I think even sociopaths can be directed into being mostly decent people, and I think his life kind of went to shit even worse than when he was talking to her, so I don't think he was practicing on her so much as just not being able to understand the bare basics of being a decent person, and also having a thing for women who can emotionally mess with him the way Livia did. Also I didn't buy it, but they needed a reason to write their relationship out of the show for the finale, so it was probably always going to be weak.
avatar
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Posts : 239
Join date : 2017-06-21

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Werel on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am

Game of Thrones S7E1-2

Spoiler:
So.... everyone is goth now?
avatar
Werel

Posts : 100
Join date : 2017-06-23

Back to top Go down

Re: HBO shows general thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum