What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:52 am

As the title suggest, what movies have you watched recently?
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Post by Lucy on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:38 am

I have awful memory but I think the last one I watched was Moana. I'd missed it in the cinema so did a digital "hire" on my playstation and watched it at home. Very Happy

It was a really good Disney Princess movie, I enjoyed it a lot!
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 am

The Girl With All the Gifts. A lot of people slept on this one but I was pretty impressed.

I thought I had the whole story figured out pretty early (genre savvy) and I was mostly right, but just when the final act started it took a sharp left into territory I hadn't expected. It's so nice not to get another Hollywood ending crammed down one's throat!
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:54 am

Blade (1998)

Figured I was gonna do both a personal comic movie retrospective and a personal comic movie catch-up. I've watched Phase 1 Marvel and Amazing Spider-Man fairly recently so I'm probably not gonna do those, and I watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 so much in the past that I'm not gonna do those either. I was thinking of skipping the Batman Begins trilogy but I might give those a hard rewatch since I didn't quite like things that everyone else praised about them the first time. Everything else has either been long enough that I can give it a fresh revisit, or I just plain haven't seen (older and newer Marvel movies, most DC movies etc)

Blade is still a pretty fun, by-the-book action movie. Things I didn't notice then but do now

Spoiler:

- I didn't notice that they mashed together a bunch of B-Movie kung-fu and blaxploitation stuff as a kid, probably because I didn't know what those were. I've never seen Shaft before but now I'm at least familiar with the trope, the pitch for this movie must've sounded something like "Imagine if Shaft was a half Vampire and had kung-fu ninja gunfights with other Vampires who go to nightclubs and look a lot like The Matrix except The Matrix hasn't come out yet."
- Also did not notice the subtle "weird" stuff back then. Frost caressing his Vampire master, implying that they're a gay couple, and Blade's mom being a little incesty with him when talking about giving in to being a Vampire.
- Frost slipping in the line about Blade being an "Uncle Tom" flew right by me as a kid. I was kinda like "Wowwwww, why did they even go ther... ohhhhh, it's a hidden blaxploitation movie, this badass black guy is kicking the crap out of a whole bunch of white dudes who use people as cattle. Frost even has a thing for black women."
- Frost bullet-timing Blade's gunshots in the park standoff feels iconic to me for some reason.
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Battle Royale (2000)

I'd never actually watched this before, and got round to it last night! I'd read the manga first, years ago, and although there are some differences there's also some constants.
Spoiler:
I don't know how I felt about the attempt to make the teacher vaguely sympathetic though. That plus his weird obsession with Noriko left me a bit uncomfortable, lol.
Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Blade 2 (2002)

FUCK, this movie is so cool. And definitely existing in that immediate post-Matrix world where every action movie needed crazy acrobatics and bullet-time even if they needed now-badly aging CGI to do it

Spoiler:

- I still lol at The Cat from Red Dwarf being a serious Vampire Ninja. Both characters have the fangs.
- For some reason I remembered Whistler being the bad guy and not the other nerd. I also remembered Whistler not coming back for the second movie, so maybe I was thinking of the third movie? I guess I'll see when I get there.
- Guillermo Del Toro must be a big fan of the Alien movies.
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Garlic Junior on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 am

Despicable Me 3
Was a lot funnier than the other ones, but still pretty dogshit. They slipped in some more adult jokes into this one, I guess taking into account that kids who grew up with the first one will be a bit older now, but I can see a few of those lines causing problems at home... anyway, this film series would have just been a Disney Channel TV show if, y'know, kids still watched TV and also if Disney owned the rights. As a movie plot, paper thin.

Back to top Go down

Post by AvoidedIsland on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:55 pm

First I'd like to say...HELL YES TO MOANA.  I ALSO LOVED THE SOUNDTRACK!

2017 Latest movies: Kingsman: The Golden Circle.  Spider-Man: Homecoming.  Wonder Woman.  The Dark Tower.  Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2.  Power Rangers. *All were seen at the theater...I might add movies I've seen this year on DVD*

Kingsman:GC. I enjoyed it...ofc, not as good as the first one.  I wish I had waited when it was out on Blu-Ray.  I did really love Poppy though.  Sadly, there wasn't any scene that was as awesome as the church scene in the first Kingsman.  Also, I had a few pet peeves....

PET MOTHER FUDGING PEEVES:
I couldn't have cared less about the relationship between Eggsy and the princess.  It didn't really add anything interesting other than the super awkward conversation of Eggsy asking Tilde if it was okay to bone another woman for the sake of the mission.  BUT THEY KILLED OFF ROXY...IT COULD HAVE BEEN AN EPIC BROMANCE BUT I GUESS EGGSY'S MANPAIN IS MORE IMPORTANT.  Oh...AND WTF...WHY MERLIN?!  They really should have kept Firth's character dead and kept Merlin alive. Clapton was hilarious at first and then repetitive but I was still amused.  I would have liked more Halle Berry and Channing Tatum (his fucking southern accent was a bit ridiculous tho).  Pascal...aka... SEXY WHISKEY was enjoyable.  But, I could have done without his backstory...rather predictable.

Spider-Man:H. VERY MUCH ENJOYED SPIDERMAN.  MY BEAUTIFUL SPIDERLING WAS PERFECT.  Seriously though, I very much preferred him over Maguire's spidey.  And, after absolutely being annoyed with Age of Ultron and CA: CW (FOR TOO MANY REASONS I CANNOT EVEN), this movie was refreshing and fun.  Almost as refreshing and fun as GotG...like I'd re-watch it as often as I did GotG.  Also, Michael Keaton is great...like the one of the few bad guys in the MCU in awhile that I'd pay to see again.

Wonder Woman.  I don't care what anyone says...it was PERFECT ("Ok, there are things I would tweak here and there").  I admit I wasn't initially sold when Gal Gadot was cast...but holy shit, I'm glad she proved me wrong.  I'm honestly glad that DC got this right before Marvel.  If there's any female superhero that I feel that should have gotten her first solo movie, it's her (especially after so many Batman and Superman movies).  The fight scenes were also so damn awesome (there are two that are m absolute favorite...feel free to guess which ones).  It really is DC's best so far (that is not to say I hate the previous DC movies...honestly, I like them even when they fall short of my expectations which is more often than not).  This movie absolutely hyped me up for the Justice League movies.

The Dark Tower.  I have in fact read some of the books to this series...but it was so long ago that I barely remembered anything.  I know that a lot of people didn't enjoy the movie...but I did.  But then, I'm a fan of Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey.  I felt there was alot they should have fleshed out....this really would have been served better if it had been a mini-series on TV.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.  ARGH.  Ok, so I don't regret watching this in the theaters...visually, it was just beautiful.  BUT HOLY SHIT WAS THE BALL DROPPED ON THE TWO MAIN CHARACTERS.  I admit that I didn't mind Laureline as much as I did Valerian.  But, the dialogue was so cringe-worthy at times...no really, I was cringing in my damn seat.  Like I've read fanfiction that would have done a better job.  It's really disappointing because the worldbuilding in that movie is astounding.  Like EVERYTHING ELSE was insanely more interesting than the actual plot.  

GotG: Vol 2.  First one was better.  But the second one is still great.  I felt some things were dragged out a little too long (i.e., like the fight scene between Gamora and Nebula....damn).  Grew to really love Yondu, ofc.  Mantis is a great addition, imo.  Kraglin doesn't get enough props...lol.  Best scene is obviously Yondu's jailbreak.  

Power Rangers. NOSTALGIA AT WORK...cause I liked it okay.  The gritty reboot...I really did not need, imo.  But, as far as the story goes, I would have preferred more story on Billy, Zack and Trini (maybe it was their backstories, but I couldn't have cared less for Kimberly and Jason?).  Not gonna lie though...Rita did it for me.  But, I am far more disappointed with no Bulk & Skull (yes, I had to google it because I visually remember them fricking perfectly, but could only remember one of their names).

Films I may still get around to seeing in the theaters: Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk, Cars 3, The Lego Ninjago Movie, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Girl's Trip.

Upcoming movies that I plan on getting around to seeing that I didn't get to see in the theaters cause I'm a scrub: John Wick 2, Kong Island, Logan, How to be a Latin Lover, Shin Godzilla, Baby Driver, Captain Underpants, Baywatch
AvoidedIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 am

@AvoidedIsland wrote:Shin Godzilla
I have seen nothing else you posted, but do definitely see this, it was the shit.
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by AvoidedIsland on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:10 pm

My youngest sister saw it and really loved it. Amazing soundtrack she said. Though, she was initially annoyed that she accidentally rented the dubbed version from Amazon, but it grew on her (apparently, she recognized quite a few of the english voiceovers from other animes she's seen?). I plan on buying the blu-ray since I know that at least she'll want it if I end up not enjoying it. I'll move it up on my queue.
AvoidedIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Watched Get Out recently.

I'm not a big horror fan, but that movie was FUN AS FUCK
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AvoidedIsland on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:20 pm

Finally saw Shin Godzilla....I VERY MUCH RECOMMEND. I really enjoyed Godzilla's design. Quite a few scenes made me nostalgic for NGE...but it was also probably the soundtrack.

That Eva soundtrack tho...fucking awesome!
AvoidedIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 am

The first phase Godzilla design was goddamn. Amazing. I want an action figure of it. Glad you enjoyed.
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by AvoidedIsland on Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Got around to see Thor: Ragnarok. Thoroughly enjoyed it...up there with GotG in terms of sheer comedy. I loved all the characters and I can't talk about it without spoiling so many amusing bits. I completely recommend it...I did see it twice!

I plan on watching Justice League tomorrow...so here's to hoping I enjoy that one too!
AvoidedIsland

Back to top Go down

Post by Tassi on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Saw that opening night. LOVED every second of it. Also fun tip if you missed it the Theater Loki on Asgard was played by Matt Damon and the Theater Thor was played by the other Hemsworth Brother (Not the one who was in the Hunger Games)
Tassi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top