The Retro Wrestling Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Retro Wrestling Thread

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Old clips, old promos, old matches, whatever old stuff you happen to randomly find

Went down the Jim Cornette rabbit-hole on youtube, here's Jim Ross interviewing New Jack, a gangsta black man, cutting a promo on Smokey Mountain Wrestling, a redneck promotion in Tennessee, in the mid '90s.

Spoiler:

Madzimum Thrill
Admin

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Retro Wrestling Thread

Post by Garlic Junior on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 am

It still blows my mind that the Gangstas were in SMW.
Garlic Junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Watching ECW Hardcore Heaven '96, linked from the Observer Rewinds

Mikey Whipwreck vs Shane Douglas

Spoiler:

- The narrative about Whipwreck was that he was a guy who was good at selling and taking an ass-kicking but not much else, but I saw a guy with a bad look but good wrestling ability otherwise here
- Douglas sort of annoyed me in the wrong way when he was fingering the crowd while Mikey had him in the figure four (noticed Mikey started chopping him to be like "hey man, sell for me"), but he was okay. Better on offense than defense.
- I actually thought the ECW-ness detracted from this match. The low-blows and hitting the ref didn't really add to the match at all, and those are big pops today and but got next-to-no crowd response then.

Blueduest/Baron Von Stevie

Spoiler:

- I lol'ed when Stevie put the claw on Joey Styles and styles just brushed him away

FBI vs Dudleys (Bubba and Big Dick)

Spoiler:

- It's a minor miracle that the Dudley gimmick survived and eventually thrived, holy shit
- "You know how Italians are about their mamas" this black/white humour, wtf
- Unprotected chair-shots :/
- It was a decent little wild brawl, I have no idea how or when the match ended
- D-Von bullying Bubba is a funny thing with hindsight

Shoot Fight: Taz vs some uncooperative former UFC guy that was a story in the Rewinds

Spoiler:

- I would seriously try to fight Bill Alfonso. Like they say that people used to try to kill the managers because they were so annoying, Alfonso does that to me
- Ya know, I'm kinda disappointed that they never really figured out how to make fake shoot-fighting work in the west (I do want to hit up more UFWi eventually). I really like when a little MMA-style leaks into pro wrestling

ECW Title: Raven (c) vs Terry Gordy - I've always meant to watch this match. Gordy had overdosed on pain-meds and slipped into a coma that caused brain damage a few years earlier, and he was never quite the same as a wrestler or a person again. He looked great in this match and people eventually figured out it was because Raven was actually good at what he did.

Spoiler:

Yup. Raven gigged, took chair shots, sold like a maniac, interference from Stevie and Nova, and then the referee with a fast count because Gordy punched him and he still kicks out at 3.1.

And this was the angle where Raven turned Sandman's son on him, oh shit

God, ECW was the most white-trash thing ever

ECW Tag Titles: The Eliminators vs The Harris Twins - "Oh man, The Eliminators " "Oh man, the Harris Twins Neutral " "Oh it's not even a match, just a crazy brawl"

Samoan Gangsta Party (Samu and Rosey) vs Axl Rotten and Hack Myers - Kinda wondering why the previous match was a non-match and this match happened as a match

Spoiler:

- Ha, chanting "Yokozuna" because I think it was Rosey was fat, but they're chanting for his cousin
- Well nevermind, the fight with the Gangstas and the rest of the tag teams is still on

ECW TV Title Match: Pit Bull #2 vs Chris Jericho

Spoiler:

- "Calgary" He's from Winnipeg, you idiot
- Gorilla Press into a Tombstone, fuck that's dangerous
- Man, a springboard lionsault over the top rope onto the floor. This Jericho guy (or the editing crew which was probably like Paul Heyman) is pretty good
- 1996 Shane Douglas = I see The Miz
- That was a pretty badass 1996 match

Weapons Match (AREN'T THEY ALL?): Brian Lee vs Tommy Dreamer

Spoiler:

- Music sure is going on a long time...
- That finish
- Eh, as far as matches go where two guys hit each other with objects, bleed and fight on the street, it was pretty fun
- Ohhhhhh dear that table bump

Rob Van Dam vs Sabu

Spoiler:

Ya know, not even my third favourite match of the night. At the time I bet it was mind-blowing, but now it just looks like two guys trying to out-spot and out-stunt each other and invent new things just to shock the crowd

I love how Paul Heyman is considered a genius for things that are now considered bad (overbooking segments, overusing blood and hardcore stuff, non-finishes and fuck-finishes and matches not even happening everywhere).

Best match was Jericho/Pit Bull #2, but I also liked Douglas/Whipwreck as an opener and was really fascinated by Raven/Gordy. I also strangely really enjoyed the Dreamer/Lee match, I think that's more the style of hardcore wrestling I like (two guys having a street fight instead of trying to do elaborate weapons-based wrestling moves for the most part). I really wish the Taz/UFC guy match had kept going, that shoot-fight style could've been cool shit.
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Oh boy, I never realized the kind of badass matches RoH was putting up on youtube for Throwback Thursdays.

2004 (Before I even started watching) - Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan vs Jushin Liger

Spoiler:

Madzimum Thrill
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top