Old Mags, Older Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Mags, Older Books

Post by EncouragementMachine on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Anybody familiar with Galaxy Magazine? It ran from 1950 to 1980 and featured short fiction from many authors who would go on to find major success in science fiction. Harlan Ellison, Le Guin, Heinlein, Bradbury, and stories ranged from deep dives on psychology and possible xenopsych, first contact and such to the technological difficulties of getting out to space and creating functional colonies. There were big ideas, familiar ideas, comedy, great illustration, UGH, it was great. It was before my time but I was always lucky to find them in the far backs of libraries and occasionally in a box at a garage sale.

For those who are interested, archive.org has uploaded all but the final four years of Galaxy Magazine for free here! Not only that, but Galaxy's sister magazine IF is also available here! If you're already familiar with either or freshly curious, I encourage you to go digging. There's a lot of gold to find in there.

Additionally, it's been a good week in book preservation! The Smithsonian finished uploading 1100 volumes of Japanese manuscripts and ukiyoe paintings. I'll never make it thru 'em all, but I'm having fun sifting thru what material is there. Here's a link to their announcement with some highlights and there's a link to the full archive at the bottom.

Hopefully all this is of some interest to more than just me. Praise Nabu! study
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Mags, Older Books

Post by Werel on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 am

Oh, that's awesome! I read a couple Galaxy best-of compilations a few years ago, there was some great stuff in there. Got any recommendations for favorite stories? Book short-form pulp club for free internet reading? Smile
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:58 pm

I am just beginning what is likely months and months of literary beachcombing. I can drop a rec in this thread if I find any stand outs. Each volume is like 160+ pages and I'm only thru the first. It features Richard Matheson's Third From the Sun which you might recognize from Rod Serling's adaptation on the Twilight Zone.

Asimov also wraps up the issue with Darwinian Pool Room which is a little bit masturbatory. A bunch of old dudes have a conversation re: Meaning of Life and get into some nebulous chaos theory sorta talk. It's not exciting and in 2017 the questions are redundant to the point that they're explored in cartoons aimed at kids now, but Asimov's way of writing is so dry-yet-excited that it's charming. I still liked being a fly on the wall for the conversation.

I don't mean to imply the other stories are without value, there's just a lot of material to chew on. I say hit it roulette style, pick a volume at random, check the table of contents and see where your whims take you. Sometimes things get fantastical, sometimes they come with a twist, sometimes the whole thing is predicated on a silly pun. In general tho, the editors took this very seriously so even lesser stories tend to be head and shoulders above 800 words some joker threw down for a check.
EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucy on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 am

I'm finally getting my book collection out of storage, and my collection of ancient pony story books are surfacing once again.

I had a real love affair with the Pullein-Thomson sisters' books when I was a teenager! Laughing

Lucy

Back to top Go down

Post by EncouragementMachine on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 am

I had no idea "pony book" was an actual genre of children's lit. Makes sense tho. By the time I had a little sis I was old enough to be taking on a lot of child-rearing tasks as my contribution to the house. Brushing teeth/changing clothes/bedtime stories was my job. I think I enjoyed reading Black Beauty in nightly chapters than she did. Laughing

EncouragementMachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top