Tabletop RPG thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tabletop RPG thread

Post by Werel on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:58 am

HEY NERDS, WHO LIKES D&D?

Or any other tabletop games. What have you played in the past? What are you playing now? What have you always wanted to try out but haven't gotten the chance yet? What are your favorite gaming systems or memories or ideas?

I hadn't really played anything of note in like... six years, and have missed it a lot, but I just started an Exalted game with some friends who've never done any of this before and I'm embarrassingly excited. I played a lot of different games in college (no I wasn't president of the RPG club what are you talking about ), but most of them ended up being White Wolf, since my crew preferred character arcs and narrative-building to dungeon crawls and monster stabbing. I'd say my favorite settings/games are:

1) Mage: the Awakening: You are a useless little human who can kind of do a few things in a terrifying occult world that wants to destroy you. It's set in the actual world, so you can incorporate lot of little winks and nods about your least favorite neighborhoods and local celebrities, and incorporation of RL occult concepts/history/folklore is encouraged.

2) Exalted: You are some kind of goddamn superhero, except you're outnumbered by an infinite number of less-powerful people who want to destroy you. Setting is the decline of the Roman empire slash imperial Japan slash high fantasy anime, so you can do anything from court-intrigue political backstabbing/just trying to survive, to riding dinosaurs and shooting firebolts out your eyes while saving The Whole World. (I prefer the former end of the scale, but whatever floats your boat).

3) RIFTS: The 1980s distilled into a game. It's the post-apocalypse and everything anyone ever imagined exists now, except for satellites and the internet and global stability. Ride your New German Republic mech across the irradiated wastes fighting off those Indonesian ghosts with their guts hanging out. Dumb, fun, infinite possibilities.

D&D can also be pretty fun if the scale is kept small and it's not too much combat-loot-repeat. If the GM can make me care about the events, and the other players can make me care about their characters, pretty much any game can be memorable good times for me. How bout y'all?
Werel

Back to top Go down

Re: Tabletop RPG thread

Post by enail on Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:52 pm

I've only dabbled once or twice, with other people who didn't know much about tabletop gaming and who were sort of humouring me, so it didn't work out that well, but it's one of those things I've always kind of wanted to get into. Character-focused and not too punishing appeals to me (especially since I enjoy making stupid decisions and have really bad luck), I think a high death rate would be a bit frustrating because you can't get attached or invest in storyline. Exalted sounds awesome!
enail

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Yeah, I think you would really like Exalted, especially since the books say one of their major inspirations for the setting/tone was Legend of Korra. Razz

And YES, getting invested over the long run is the best part! My college Exalted game ran for five years with almost entirely the same characters, and I can't say we all didn't have some Serious Emotions when the campaign ended and we had to say goodbye to a bunch of imaginary people. Or that I don't occasionally text those guys like "remember when [character] did [thing], I'm having that problem in my life right now" Laughing
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:11 pm

(Whoops, doublepost)
Werel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top