Star Trek: Discovery

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Star Trek: Discovery

Post by enail on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Anyone watching? I just got around to the premiere. Mixed feelings, but I think it's got potential, at any rate. It didn't totally feel like good ol' Star Trek to me, but it didn't not feel like Star Trek, either. A few more specific thoughts:

Premier (E1&2):

-All the Klingons sounded a little stilted. Also, looking pretty different!
-A brilliant, hotshot, nerve-pinching Vulcan-raised human with a tragic past and Sarek as a proud mentor is pretty much every 12-yr-old-girl's fantasy, this is a little too Mary Sue for my taste
-In general found it a bit too focused on heroics and dramatics, which I feel is a modern tendency that sometimes goes overboard, it looks like it's going to be pretty heavy on the war plot story arc, I was really hoping for a lot of good old-school Star Trek exploration and moral dilemma (especially since the main char is a xenoanthropologist) that could maybe find a balance between exciting, high-consequence action and something a little more chill and intellectual. That's something that the TV show format allows for much better than movies imo.
-Lt. Saru was interesting, I felt like they did a good job of giving us a feel for the species while still having a sense of the individual character and room for complexity rather than Planet of Hats shit. Look forward to hearing more about the Kelpians and hopefully some other alien characters.
-Nooo, Michelle Yeoh Sad At least I still get Jason Isaacs.
enail

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Post by Madzimum Thrill on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:37 pm

It's rounding more into form as the episodes go on
Madzimum Thrill
Admin

http://secretclubhouse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top